We were watching our local television news broadcasts from 5 AM this morning to 7 PM this evening, and were completely shocked to see what they had missed!
Just take a look at these stories and see if you can find an explanation:
- Breaking story from 5 AM this morning! An apparent gunman climbed a crane in Atlanta, Georgia during the morning rush hour, allegedly forcing the crane operator at gunpoint to vacate.
Police have been speaking with the man by cellphone and still don't know exactly what he wants, nor whether he is actually armed.
- Actor Carol O'Connor, best known for his role as Archie Bunker on the television series All in the Family died today from a heart attack at the age of 76.
- One of the most well-known guitarists and blues singers, Johnny Lee Hooker died today at the age of 83.
- Yesterday, 268 people were arrested in one of the largest smuggling operations. The men are accused of smuggling 8 million tons of drugs through 17 US cities.
- 14 men (13 Saudis, and 1 Lebanonese) were indited today in the 1996 bombing of Khobar Towers, which killed 19 American servicemen in Saudi Arabia. However, they may never be tried for their crimes in the US due to the lack of an extradition treaty.
- A Peruvian Civilian court found a New York woman, Lori Berensen, guilty of collaborating with terrorists and has sentenced to her original 20 year term.
The retrial came about due to intensive pressure that the original trial by a Military court was corrupt. That court had convicted her and had sentenced her to 20 years, of which she has already served 5.
The Civilian court convicted her and sentenced her to an additional 15 years, on top of the 5 already served, equaling her original 20 year term.
Her parents claim the Civilian court was also "a joke" and are proclaiming their daughter's innocence.
- Police are still searching for 3 pit bulls that severely mauled and almost killed a 10 year-old California boy.
The boy, who literally had his ears ripped-off, is in critical condition, and is extremely lucky to be alive given the vicious attack on his head, chest, and arms may also have to undergo painful rabis shots if the dogs cannot be found.
- Authorities in NY are still trying to determine how a baby alligator ended-up in a Central Park lake. Rumors of an alligator being present have been circulating for some time, but it wasn't until yesterday that the first pictures and capture was made.
- Robert and Susan Levy, the parents of Chandra Levy, the missing Washington intern are in Washington, D.C. to meet with authorities and have hired a high-powered lawyer claiming that D.C. police aren't conducting a good investigation.
The lawyer, Billy Martin, is not only a skilled Washington investigator, but gained fame by representing Monica Lewinsky's mother.
FBI agents are also scheduled to question Congressman Gary Condit for the 2nd time. Rumors are ciculating that he had an affair with Chandra, who has been missing for almost 8 weeks. The Congressman himself hasn't spoken-out, but his spokesman denies the rumors.
So far, police still say they are considering it a missing person case until evidence to the contrary becomes known.
- President Bush's latest approval rating numbers are down again.
- Lighter side: To combat the problem of a locust infestation in China, 17,000 specially trained ducks have been flown in to eat the locusts. The ducks can eat about 1 pound per day. The Chinese claim that using ducks is more cost-effective and environmentally-friendly.
Russia, who is also facing a locust infestation, is combating with pesticides.