As usual, our local news broadcasts cover the UNIMPORTANT, while missing the IMPORTANT!
Just take a gander at these stories, which were MOSTLY MISSED during the 8:30-9:30 AM broadcasts:
- Believe it or not, but 1 person has actually won $141 million in California's Superlotto. The winning ticket was sold in San Jose and this is the largest jackpot in US history.
- A volcano in the Philippines has erupted spewing lava, rocks, and ash. The eruption is expected to last for days.
- The Pope's mission to the Ukraine is continuing. He made the visit hoping to mend fences between the Catholic Church and the Ukraine's Orthodox majority.
- Slobodon Milosovic will fight the decision by the Yugoslav Cabinet to extradite him to the Hague to face war crimes. Several western governments, including the United States have vowed to withhold aid to the country if they do not extradite war criminals. Extradition is illegal in Yugoslavia.
- Assessment of damages and search for survivors are underway in Peru after a powerful 7.9 earthquake rocked the country killing 46 and injuring hundreds. So far, 20 aftershocks have occurred.
- Salvage operations and search for survivors are getting underway after a deadly train derailment in India.
- One Palestinian has been killed in the West Bank while talking on the phone. On Tuesday, Israeli Prime Minister Sharon will be meeting in Washington with President Bush to discuss peace in the Middle East.
- A prison riot in Brazil has ended peacefully, with 9 hostages being released unharmed.
- The Federal Reserve meets on Wednesday and is widely expected to cut interest rates further. So far, the Fed has cut rates 5 times since January, and a rate cut of 1/4 to 1/2 point is expected.
- Heavy flooding and mudslides are still causing problems for those living in Western Pennsylvania.
- Wildfires near Reno are almost 50% contained, but firefighters are concerned about wind gusts up to 40 mph fanning the flames.
- The former drummer for the music group, the Doobie Brothers, was seriously injured in a motocycle accident.
- Hundreds marched in NY yesterday demanding more money be used for fighting Aids.
- A first for the NHL: A Russian player has been selected in the first round of draft picks. The top three draft choices were Russians.
- File this under dumb criminals: A man in NY walked into the local police station saying that his car has been hijacked. When the police responded, they found a second man stealing drugs from the trunk of the car. Both have been arrested.