Now we've mentioned in past editions some stories we found to be a total embarrassment to our local news, but this takes the cake by a long shot!
While our local reporters LEAD-OFF WITH stories like:
The networks were focusing on:
- Continuing investigation into the Artic Rose,
- Slowdowns in ferry service,
- Local residents being scammed out of money, and
- Beach closures
- The capture of Soltys, the Sacramento killer accused of murdering 6 members of his own family,
- The discovery on Aug. 30 (which our local tv news missed entirely!) of 7 murdered people in Souix City, Iowa, including a mother and her 5 children. On Aug 31, police have arrested a 23 year-old suspect. The victims were found by the babysitter and, according to authorities, have been dead for a few days,
- Controversy into the actual age of Danny Almonte, the Dominican Republic born NY little league pitcher rumored to be 14, which would put him over the league's limit of 12. It is also rumored that he had never enrolled in school during the 18 months he's been in the US. There are 2 birth certificates, one showing he's 12 and a second showing he's 14. Dominican Republic officials have been flown to NY to review the documents and make a determination as to his real age--result: he's 14! The league and coaches claim they were defrauded by the father, who has since disappeared.
- Gary Condit saga: continuing questions into whether Gary Condit has anything to do with Chandra Levy's disappearance. Most watching the Connie Chung interview believe he's hiding something. Now he's parading his son Chad and his staffers on Larry King. Did they help? Well, most believe the son didn't but the staffers did somewhat. Although the staff, which were mostly from Modesto didn't know much about his private life, but spoke highly about the man and his service record.
Our take: Condit knows more then he's saying, but what that is exactly, we'll probably never know. Did he kill Chandra? We don't think so, but he may know who did. If he doesn't have anything to hide, then he should have come out much earlier and even now saying something like "look, we had an affair, but I had absolutely nothing to do with her disappearance." Instead, he's been evasive and silent. Quite frankly, he looks like a man hiding something!
- Solbodan Milosovic, the former Yugoslav leader, went before the War Crimes Tribunal at the Hague for the 2nd time; this time to decide whether he will hire a lawyer or have one appointed by the court.
Milosovic has been very defiant and "thumbing his nose" at the whole process, which he views as illegal. One thing we can say about him: he looks and acts like one tough and mean SOB!
Prosecutors will be adding the charge of Genocide to his inditement, which is the most serious crime, as well as crimes committed in Bosnia and Croatia.
- Analysis into the stock market's 3-day plung, totalling 503 points! Are we heading for rough times?
HOW could our local television news justify providing NO COVERAGE WHATSOEVER to the Aug 30 story about 7 people found murdered in Souix City, Iowa?
The victims included a mother and her 5 children, plus a man found outside the house.
Why is it that our local broadcasts still had plenty of time for cooking and soap opera segments, but NO time for this mass killing?
- Anybody think this story isn't horrifying and a real tradegy? NO!
- Anybody think it's unimportant? NO!
- Anybody see a reason for missing it? NO!
Is it that our local reporters feel viewers are too stupid to handle a story like this? Or maybe they feel the public just wouldn't care? Or perhaps it's that the reporters themselves couldn't handle a mass killing story?
Regardless of why, MISSING a MAJOR story like this is, in our opinion, shear incompetitence and embarrassing!